Popular Posts

Friday, November 6, 2015

LATE REVIEW: Inside Out

For those of you unaware, animation company Pixar is well known for their ability to make adult movies that can appeal to kids; no, not in the dirty or inappropriate sense. I mean that many of the films Pixar has put out often contain themes that appeal more to the adults than to the kids - from the worry of age and loss in Up to the family lifestyle adjustment in The Incredibles, Pixar has no one main demographic of appeal. Considering that they do animation, of course it encourages parents to bring their children along. However, Pixar gives something for those adults to enjoy in the form of deep and developed characters, witty dialogue, and truly heartwarming stories. Inside Out is no different.

Yes, I'm aware that this movie was released in most countries way back in June of 2015, but being in Germany, I only just saw it the other night. Let me tell you ladies and gentlemen, I had thought that the incredible hype surrounding this movie would weigh down on me and not give me the same kind of emotional impact that it had for everyone else; I could not have been more wrong. If you want the short part, just go and see this movie. Seriously. Treat yourselves to the experience, because right now you're missing out on one of the best movies of the year.

The plot focuses on the emotions of the 11-year old girl Riley: Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Fear, and Anger. As Riley's world is turned upside down, the emotions try their best to keep her from falling into a depressive state. When Sadness and Joy begin disputing the best way to take care of Riley, the memories that form the basis of Riley's personality go missing. It's then up to Joy and Sadness to team up and return those memories back to Riley, while Fear, Disgust, and Anger look after Riley in the now. The dynamic between  these emotions is great to see, and the banter between them all is fantastic.

The animation here is top-notch; seriously some of the most intelligently and cleverly-designed artwork that Pixar has put out in years. The same can be said for the story itself, and that's what grabbed me the most. This movie is just so damn creative, from the dynamic of the characters to the plot to the emotional gravitas: this movie has it all. It's probably the most creative an idea Pixar's had since Monster's Inc.; and that's not a stab at the movies that followed Monster's, I'm just saying that this movie was a fresh perspective and ingenious look at an aspect of life most people wouldn't have thought of, which as a cognitive person now watching movies was a thrill to experience.

Beyond that, this movie has an emotional resonance that just freaking hit me to my core. Not one to traditionally cry during movies, I was in tears by the time this story was done being told. It's sensitive and heartwarming; even more so, the movie resonated with me because I've found myself in Riley's place a number of times, so I related with the character on such a deep level I felt that I was part of the movie. Acknowledging that I am unique in this instance, this film is still an incredibly human story about the progression of life, and the unique way of telling a story like that by focusing on your emotions was so refreshing.

In all, this is probably my new most-favorite Pixar movie: it has the emotional gravitas, the quirky but lovable characters, and a story so strong even those who can't fully identify with Riley will feel some sense of empathy for the character's journey. As far as a new age in Pixar, this is the best time to start, and it only glimpses us with an even brighter future of what they have in store for us. Please, for all that is good in this world, go see this movie.

Rating: 10/10

*Note: This rating does not mean the movie is perfect; it means that I believe the movie is a masterpiece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment